Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Journey home

Well I began my lengthy journey home yesterday.  It is a long way to travel to be sure, however my trip this time will be rather drawn out.  I began yesterday with a flight from my base to the main base in the south aboard an Osprey.  Very interesting aircraft - part plane and part helicopter.  Once 20 plus Marines and a few of us contractors were loaded on, the engines revved up and we jumped off the ground straight up about 1000 feet.  The next part is even more interesting as they rotate the propellers from horizontal to vertical, all the upward thrust shifts to forward thrust.  I was second seat from the back (without my seat belt fastened) and had to hang on as we very quickly accelerated forward.  The problem with this transition is there is very little upward thrust left and not enough forward speed to create much lift from the wings.  I noticed we were getting closer and closer to the ground.  The tail gunner even lifted the ramp a little more and seemed to look concerned.  I enjoyed the rest of the flight as we zigged and zagged around some increadible mountains with the second Osprey following close behind.  They could charge good money for rides in those birds.
Here are a few photos (not mine - no cameras were allowed on this flight) but very close to what I saw.
Flight position of the props
Take off and landing position of the props

I will be staying at the main base with joint operations for a week before continuing on to Dubai. I will be there for a week or so attending a training course before finishing my journey home.  Here is something to consider.  The British / American air field here is supposed to be the 3rd busiest compared to Brittain (Heathrow of course number 1).
Hopefully I will be able to take some pictures while in Dubai.